Roach Eating Contest
A 32 year old south Florida man died last week after a roach eating contest in order to win an ivory ball python at a local reptile store. Edward “Eddie” Archbold is seen in the above video grabbing handfuls of roaches, and throwing them in his mouth like popcorn. Witnesses say Eddie dominated the contest, in which he won, by almost inhaling the roaches. It appears in the video as if he wasn’t even chewing the roaches, just popping them in his mouth and swallowing them whole. An estimated 300 bystanders cheered him on as he covered his mouth, trying to keep the roaches down.
Shortly after winning the contest, Eddie began to feel ill. He began vomiting and eventually passed out. He was taken to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead. The medical examiner’s office is conducting tests to determine a cause of death, according to the sheriff’s office statement.
The reptile store’s roach eating contest was all part of a “Midnight Madness” promotion in which contest participants had four minutes to eat as many roaches as they could stomach.
A fellow roach eating contestant of Eddies, Mathew Karwacki, made the following Facebook comment about the roaches:
“Yes the contest was crazy, but all the bugs were captive bred and raised on a commercial diet and veggies. These insects are raised for the pet industry as fodder. So there was nothing that those bugs contained that would hurt a human (unless yes there was some sort of allergic reaction, but that is usually instant…he died awhile AFTER the contest)”
Entomophagy—The Act of Eating Insects
Eating insects might seem like a disguising act, better left for ‘Bizarre Foods’ host Andrew Zimmern. The truth is Entomophagy, or the act of eating insects, is a way of life for millions of people worldwide. People in less developed countries rely on insects for protein and other nutrients needed for survival. Many types of insects appear on menus, remaining a traditional food in many cultures throughout Latin America, Asia, and Africa.
Most of us in North Carolina find roaches revolting, and would no way ever consider putting on in our mouths. The truth is cockroaches are known for spreading diseases by transporting microbes on their bodies. Some of the diseases they can spread include: polio, typhoid fever, leprosy, and bubonic plaque. They have also been shown to cause allergic reactions in humans, which is the likely cause of Eddie’s death.
Cockroaches are definitely something you do not want in your home. If you are seeing roaches in your home, contact a local exterminator today!
1801 North Tryon Street
Charlotte, NC 28206
A-1 Wildlife Control
Charlotte, NC 28227
A-A Wildlife Damage Control
301 Bradford Drive
Charlotte, NC 28208